Important notice to Parents & Guardians on COVID-19
As the school year commences, we would like to share a summary of the most recent health and safety protocols, and other measures, that are in effect at the schools and centres of the English Montreal School Board for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Online learning will be available for students who have been exempted from attending in-person classes for medical reasons. For authorization, parents are required to make a formal request via their child’s school and have in their possession a signed doctor’s note. The home school will then submit the request to the Online Academy. The deadline for online school applications is September 11, 2021.
Masks in school
- Students, Grade 1 to Grade 11, are required to wear masks at all times when indoors. The following are exceptions:
- In Physical Education class (unless it is within a 10-day period after the declaration of a positive case in class).
- In situations of extreme heat while seated (extreme heat = 25°C and above outside) unless classroom is air conditioned. This will be at the Principal/teacher discretion to remove masks.
- If the students meet other exemption criteria as defined by the MEQ.
Positive COVID Case
- Any student that tests positive must isolate at home for ten (10) days.
- Santé Publique will assess the risk level and advise the family and school.
- All other students in that class will remain in school, unless deemed a high risk by Santé Publique (i.e. not wearing their mask).
- In the event of a second positive COVID case from the same class, within the 10-day period Public Health will evaluate the circumstances and recommend appropriate action to the school team. This may involve isolation of additional students.
- Regular cafeteria services can resume at secondary and elementary schools, where applicable:
- Students must wear masks unless they are seated and eating.
- Students may be encouraged to eat with peers at their grade level.
- Le Mini Bistro services will resume, where applicable.
- Libraries will be open to students, where applicable.
- Transportation services resume at regular bus capacity.
- Masks are required for all students riding the bus (excluding Pre-K)
Sanitation and cleaning protocols remain unchanged from last year; we will continue to rigorously clean and disinfect as required.
The following symptoms are identified by Santé Publique as symptoms related to possible COVID infection. Should your child develop any symptoms listed below, they must stay at home and it is recommended that they be tested for COVID-19:
One of the following symptoms:
Two of the following symptoms:
• Fever (38°C or more, oral thermometer)
• Sudden loss of smell without congestion or loss of taste
• Onset or aggravation of a cough
• Difficulty breathing
• Shortness of breath
• Sore throat
• Abdominal pain
• Nausea and vomiting
• Diarrhea or gastro-intestinal symptoms
• Intense fatigue
• Loss of appetite
• Muscular pain
Please note that nasal congestion and runny nose have been removed from the list.
For questions and concerns, we invite you to contact the COVID Info-line at: 1-877-644-4545.
We will continue to share all new measures and directives given by Public Health throughout the school year.
Thank you for your collaboration.
The English Montreal School Board Administration